Lost and Found
Reuniting hundreds of pets with their families each year is one of the most rewarding parts of what we do at the Humane Society of Harrisburg Area.
Stray pets are held for 48 hours before being eligible to go up for adoption.
If you have lost your pet or have found what appears to be an owned but stray animal, please contact HSHA at (717) 564-3320.
If your animal has been found and brought to HSHA, you will be required to pay a redemption fee that is based on the number of days your animal has been at the shelter:
- REDEMPTION ON THE SAME DAY YOUR PET CAME IN: $30 (as of September 2018)
- REDEMPTION THE DAY AFTER YOUR PET CAME IN: $54.50
- ADDITIONAL COST FOR SUBSEQUENT DAYS: $10 per day
If You Find a Stray Animal
- File a Found Report with the Humane Society by filling out the appropriate form below:
- File a Round Report with your local municipality office
- Contact your local municipality for instructions on what to do with the animal.
- Be cautious when approaching the stray animal.
- Be careful about bringing the animal into your home, especially if you have your own animals.
- If the animal has ID tags, contact the owner directly.
- Get the word out by placing a “found” ad in the newspaper and posting flyers in your community.
- Check “lost” ads in the newspaper.
If You Lose Your Pet
- To file a lost report with the Humane Society, fill out the form below:
- File a lost found report with your local municipality office.
- Get the word out by placing a “lost” ad in the newspaper, posting flyers in your community, and on social media.
- Check “found” ads in the newspaper and on social media.
- Call and visit the Humane Society regularly
- Contact your neighbors and ask them to keep a lookout.